Friday, November 5, 2010

Movie I Loved as a Kid, Weight Gain & Rant

Sadly my friends it looks like we're not going to foster a cat. The only animals they foster to other people are animals that are sick or pregnant. I don't really have much time for that much responsibility. Oh wells. I guess I'll just smother my cat when I get home or my mans cats when I visit the "in-laws".

I've been feeling much better lately. After finding out I wasn't chosen to make a film for my classes, I broke down and just (for fun) decided to gain some weight. Isn't that awesome? FUCK. I am running on my tredmil at least 5-6 times a week now. Goooo meeee weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I've re-watched one of my favorite movies as a kid. Xanadu. Before watching it, I went to IMDB.com to check out the rating it had and to my amazment it was a sad little 4.5/10. Re-watching it I quickly realized why. The screenplay for it is awful. A lot of the story doesn't really make sense and the characters arn't very developed. I was soon reminded why the one reason why I love the movie was for them awesome songs and dance numbers. " XANADU! XANADUUUUUU! NOW WE ARE HERE!! XANADUUU! NOW THAT YOU'RE HERE, NOW THAT YOUR NEAR, XANADUU!" or "DON'T WALK AWAY! DON'T SAY GOODBYE! DON'T TURN AROUND! DON'T LET IT DIE! WHEN SHADOWS FALL! WHEN DAY IS DONE! ALL THROUGH THE NIIIIIGHT!" Yah! It makes me all warm 'n' fussy inside.

I'm actually quite angry at the film program at my university. It's a tad bit of a rip off really and not very organised or thought throughly enough. First reason why is because my university is in millions and millions of dollars in debt. So, of course they don't have enough money to spread around. And since the film program is one of the most neglected programs at my university it gets the tail end of a budget. This then affects what gear, equipment and software we can get and have access to.

Second reason: The building where the film program usually is situated has been under construction since the summer. It was supposed to be finished by September. We found out less than a few weeks before school started that it wasn't going to be ready. Since the construction wasn't finished, they had to find a building that was suitable for having film classes and a proper studio to shoot in. Well, what they found was fucking crap. It was a last minute choice and a poor one. I find it rude and appauling that whoever
"okay-ed" the location has absolutely no respect for the students and the work that they might accomplish.

Third reason: The student lounge has only one working computer. Yes, we did only have one working computer in the student lounge at the old film campus BUT we had an office in which students were freely able to use various computers whenever students wanted. The student lounge has no where to really "lounge" about. There is a printer/photocopier, one working computer and a coat rack. 0O0H AHHH. We's livin' in luxury hera.

Fourth reason: The classrooms are always always always tooo freakin hot. I appreciate that we can afford emounts of heat but they don't have to cook us alive. And since there is so much traffic around the location, at times I can't even hear my professor speak!

Which bring me to the Fifth reason: The studio. The studio. The studio. The studio is not a studio; not for filming! Since the location is right next to the port, there are very loud sounds of cars, transport trucks, buses and cruise ships. This affects the filming of any film we try to shoot. It is impossible to get any good sound. Even the studio itself has piping in which everytime anyone uses the washroom, you hear the pipes squealing; litterly squealing. If it rains, you can hear it clear as day hitting the roof. This is one of the main reasons why I highly disapprove of this location. Like I said, if they had any respect and hope for the work we might accomplish, they would have picked a much better spot and would have taken much more time looking for one.

Sound is one of the main reasons why a lot of good films are great. Or even commercials and music videos! Why do you love that commercial? Why do you love that film? Why do you like that music video? Unconsiously we just think, "Man! What a great movie!" But really if you watch and listen to it you'll find the sound has nothing wrong with it and you can hear your actors clearly and you just think, "Ya, so what? There was nothing wrong with it." EXACTLY. There isn't supposed to be anything wrong with it. One good example is the film "Paranormal Activity". They used a low budget camera but had a million dollar sound track! And why is that movie sooo freakin scary as I hear it is? I guarentee you %90 the reason you were scared was because of the awesome sound track matched nicely with perposly steatchy footage.

And last but not least the Sixth reason: No 24/7 access. At our old film campus we had 24/7 access. Now it's harder to get into this building after hours.

I'm sure I'm missing other reasons but with all that said and done I am still happy I went to the university that I am in. The history classes are great. The terms and skills that I have learned from various other classes will help me in the long run. I have done things I never thought I could have done or think of doing. I have learned things I wouldn't have learned or would have taken me longer to learn in the "real world". The people I have met and liked by going to university were worth it. I just don't think that this Fourty Thousand Dollar Experence was really worth Fourty Thousand Dollars....

"DON'T WALK AWAY! DON'T SAY GOODBYE!"

Before & After photo of  "me" when I opened my email to find out that I wasn't chosen to shoot my film.


snoogin

2 comments:

  1. kitties are awsome, shitty deal your not getting one (just a suggestion? mabey dress your man up as one and pet him and smack his side,and make him do the fat belly hula dance like we used to do too minmin)
    Xanadu is bloody awsome not for the movie itself(i watched it meself a few weeks ago..gawwd)it has to do with how mom and dad raised us(we wernt alloweed to watch ANYTHIGN) so xanadu was like throwin us in a pile of magical goodness, so we were enthralled(kinda like NMBC)
    and dont beat the coat rack man, you is high rollin pimp with a coat hanger in your "studio"..and maaabey thats a good thing your film didnt get picked (THIS TIME) cause now theeyyyyy have to deal with the shit studio.
    hardy fuckin har on them says i.
    good luck with the sound.
    nooch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think he would like being dressed up too much,lol. But the hula dance does sound like a good idea. Only think though is I'd need a ladder to do it,lol. It's true about us thinking things are freakin AMAZING because them not letting us see that studd. And probably why we like things so dark.
    I'm not doing sound in the studio, thank Universe. I'm doing sound on location which is going to hard in itself. Horaahh. T'is a challenge!

    ReplyDelete